Caledon East Masonic
On a Tuesday evening, June 7 1904, about fifty
masons assembled by right of a Dispensation from Grand Lodge to inaugurate Peel
Masonic Lodge #468 in Caledon East. The ceremony was performed by R. W. Bro. J.
Edward Francis. D.D.G.M. of Toronto West District #11. The inauguration took
place in a leased flat on the upper level of the Bradley Building which is still
exists on what is now Airport Road in Caledon East. This was to be the home of
Peel Lodge until 1911.
In October of 1911, on land on the south side of Old Church Road which had been donated to the Lodge by Brother Thomas Coulter, the first Masonic building to be owned by Peel Lodge was completed. The contracting firm of White & Proctor did the work for $1275.00 dollars. However, much of the cost of construction had been absorbed by Lodge members who performed such work as pouring the cinder blocks into the contractor's moulds for installation in the building by his workers. On October 6, 1911, R.W. Bro.H.G. Scully dedicated the new Lodge building.
Some 45 years later even larger premises were
required. Accordingly, the current property was purchased, across the street
from the 1911 building. On May 15th 1957 the present location was opened and
dedicated by Grand Master M.W.Bro. Harry L. Martyn. Total cost of this building
was $26,928.00 with the bulk of the labour furnished by Lodge
With the re-alignment of Masonic Districts in 2006, this hall was included for a short period of time in the new District of Toronto York.
It became part of Toronto West District in 2007.