The Uxbridge Masonic
The Uxbridge Masonic Hall
26 Spruce Street,
Built in 1962 by Zeredatha Lodge # 220 G.R.C., this building has been the home of this Lodge for forty-seven years. It is also is a veritable storehouse of 19th century Masonic art.
A number of wall plaques by the late V. W. Bro. James T. Dowling are displayed in the Lodge Sanctuary. However, most of the work by this former Lodge Master is painted on several rolls of canvas, seven feet in height and totalling four hundred and twenty-seven feet in length. Although faithfully preserved, because of the size of the paintings, they are stored in a specially built cupboard and only occasionally displayed.
The very first meeting of the Lodge was held in July 1870 in the hotel owned by a Masonic Brother, W.J. Annand. Over the years the Lodge met continuously, but in six different locations within the community. It was resolved to build a permanent home for the Lodge, and on 3rd June 1962, the present building was dedicated by the Grand Master, M.W.Bro. R.W. Treleaven, assisted by Rt.W.Bro. T.F. Dodson, D.D.G.M. of Toronto District #3, and 53 other Grand Lodge officers.
The records indicate that 2157 recorded hours, (and countless unrecorded hours) were contributed by the brothers of Zeredatha Lodge to the construction of the new building. Additionally, $12,000.00 was received in donations, and many of the furnishings were donated by brethren and by other Lodges. Total cost of the building in 1962 was calculated at $23,969.85 dollars.